Spring Valley, California - FBI Special Agent in Charge Daphne Hearn announces the arrest of Terrence Mack Carter, age 30, on Tuesday.
Carter was taken into custody by members of the San Diego FBI SWAT team at approximately 3:00 p.m. today in the vicinity of the 9000 block of Kenwood Drive, Spring Valley, California. Carter was arrested after members of the San Diego FBI SWAT Team made entry into the apartment Carter was hiding in.
At the time of his arrest, Carter was wanted on federal drug and firearm charges emanating from a multi-agency investigation conducted by the FBI’s Violent Crimes Gang Task Force. The task force consists of officers and deputies from the San Diego Police Department’s gang unit; the San Diego County Sheriff’s Department; San Diego County Probation; the Bureau of Prisons; and Immigration Customs Enforcement.
Carter is one of six people charged in an FBI complaint under U.S. District Court, Southern District of California case number 14MJ1491 (see summary of charges below). The charges against Carter and others were announced on Thursday, April 24, 2014, by U.S. Attorney Laura Duffy during a press conference.
During this press conference, U.S. Attorney Duffy announced the unsealing of federal complaints charging 35 people, many of whom are alleged members and associates of the West Coast Crips criminal street gang, with participating in three drug- and gun-related conspiracies, including one that alleged a racketeering enterprise with execution-style murders, a takeover-style robbery, high-speed chases, witness intimidation, and other acts of violence.
It is anticipated that Carter will be booked into the Bureau of Prisons (BOP), Metropolitan Correctional Center (MCC), San Diego, California, and have his initial appearance before a U.S. Magistrate Judge on or about today.
Defendants in Case Number 14MJ1491:
- William Eugene Wash; Age 27; Lemon Grove, California
- Jessie Smith; Age 30; San Diego, California
- David Rojas; Age 21; San Diego, California
- Terrence Mack Carter; Age 29; El Cajon, California
- Terrell Davon Guss; Age 22; Spring Valley, California
- Kevin Darryl Adell; Age 33; San Diego, California
Summary of Charges
- Conspiracy to distribute methamphetamine, in violation of Title 21, U.S.C. Sections 841 (a)(1) and 846. Maximum penalties based on alleged drug amounts: Wash, Smith, and Rojas: up to life in prison; Carter, up to 40 years in prison.
- Possession of marijuana with intent to distribute, in violation of Title 21, U.S.C. Section 841 (a)(1). Maximum penalties based on alleged drug amounts: up to five years in prison.
- Carrying a firearm during and in relation to drug trafficking crime, in violation of Title 18, U.S.C. Section 924 (c)(1) Maximum penalties: five-year mandatory minimum penalty, which must be run consecutive to any other penalty imposed in the case.
- Felon in possession of a firearm, in violation of Title 18, U.S.C., Sections 922(g)(1) and 924(a)(2). Maximum penalties: 10 years in prison.