- Category: Latest News
- Created on Friday, 08 March 2013 10:31
San Diego, California (NAPSI) - Protect your biggest investments: your family and your home. A few easy electrical safety steps can help ensure that your home continues to be a safe haven for your family.
The Electrical Safety Foundation International recommends the following tips to help protect your home and family from electrical hazards and fires:
• Regularly check all cords, outlets, switches and appliances for signs of damage or wear.
• Use extension cords only temporarily.
• Be sure that outlets are not overloaded with too many devices. They can overheat and start a fire.
• Look and listen for warning signs of an electrical problem such as outlets and switches that are warm, or make crackling, sizzling or buzzing sounds.
• Always replace fuses or circuit breakers with the correct size and amperage. And make sure all circuits are labeled correctly.
• Consider having your breakers upgraded to state-of-the-art AFCI circuit breakers. Keep the electrical panel accessible so you can quickly shut off power in an emergency.
• Install smoke alarms on every level of your home. Place alarms inside each bedroom and outside each sleeping area. Test them once a month, change the batteries at least once a year, and replace the alarm itself every 10 years.
For more electrical safety tips, visit www.esfi.org.