San Diego, California - The San Diego Blood Bank is asking San Diegans who have never given blood and those who haven’t given blood recently, to honor those who served our country by making a lifesaving blood donation over Memorial Day weekend.
“Here in San Diego, we are all connected in some way to someone who serves in the military,” said San Diego Blood Bank CEO, David Wellis. “We’re asking our community to donate blood in recognition of those who serve to keep us safe,”
Various opportunities to donate with the San Diego Blood Bank over the Memorial Day holiday weekend include:
- USS Midway blood drive on 5/27, 10 a.m. – 4 p.m. Donors will receive free entrance to the Midway Museum.
- VFW Post 7420 blood drive on 5/27, 10 a.m. – 3 p.m. 2100 Logan Avenue, San Diego, CA 92113
San Diego County Credit Union - hosting blood drives at six of their local branches on 5/29 from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Branch locations include:
- 6545 Sequence Drive, San Diego, CA 92121
- 501 North El Camino Real, Encinitas, CA 92024
- 286 Town Center Parkway, Santee, CA 92071
- 790 West San Marcos Blvd., San Marcos, CA 92078
- 3455 Sports Arena Blvd., San Diego, CA 92110
- 1475 West Vista Way, Vista, CA 92083
- Most SDBB donor centers will be open on Memorial Day as well. A list of centers and hours are available at www.SanDiegoBloodBank.org/Donate.
To be eligible to donate blood you must be at least 17 years old, weigh at least 114 pounds and be in general good health. Eligible blood donors are encouraged to schedule an appointment to give by calling 1-800-4-MY-SDBB (1-800-469-7322).
About the San Diego Blood Bank
SDBB is dedicated to community health by providing a reliable supply of blood to patients in need. Our vision is to further ensure the health of our community by simultaneously delivering related health and wellness education and services and extending into research. SDBB is an independent, 501(c)(3) non-profit that serves hospitals in San Diego, Orange, Imperial and Los Angeles counties with blood transfusion products and reference laboratory services. SDBB currently operates six local donor centers and 10 bloodmobiles. SDBB’s Cell Therapy Program provides lifesaving stem cell transplants to patients worldwide.